Saturday, February 17, 2007

What a Day, What a Day

After what felt like the longest week ever -- the kind where you go from loving your job to hating your job to being indifferent about your job and where you hate to admit that the highlight of your Valentine's Day came from being completely selfish -- I got to have a Saturday -- the kind where you have nothing planned and no one telling you what to do. These were completely foreign to me until I moved to LA.

We've been having the most gorgeous weather I've ever experienced in February, so instead of holing up and riding it out like we're conditioned to do at this time of year, we've been riding our bikes to Venice Beach to watch people and smell the sea in the air. We never plan to ride our bikes to the beach, but somehow we end up there, laying in the sand and listening to drummers and wondering why we don't go there more often. It's amazing how that salty moist air manages to blow away the residue of life while that crystal clear sunshine reinvigorates your whole attitude.

After a day in the sun, the night in the house is actually a pleasure. The windows and doors are wide open, the air is wandering through the house and cleaning the stale life out of the corners, the alley noises are creeping in and teasing our imaginations.

Today I love living here.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations, you deserve a day of rest and relaxation! I'm so jealous that it's warm and sunny and beachy where you are - can't wait to visit!

Shanonita said...

I know! I am jealous too. We don't have a beach so close to us here and if we did it would be on the North Sea and damn cold! We do have a nice little river but I am now too pregnant to muster up the energy to walk that far and the thought of riding a bike seems...a little scary. I dreamed about my normal clothes last night. I looked at them in shock at how (relatively) small they are/were and gasped at the thought that I would ever fit into them again.

Anonymous said...

Oh and the weather here is so, so miserable!!!!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS