Friday, February 15, 2008

Part of the Reason I Chose to Move


Just in case your minds had frozen and you started to believe winters have to be like that. Thinking of you suckers warmly as I dine on sunshine and fresh ocean air.

15 comments:

Lisa said...

And how much is your rent? Yeah. That's part of the reason I left Florida. The Sunshine State.

Anonymous said...

The high is 77 here in Lake Chuck today:)

Philip Deskins said...

You're being awful hard on Kentucky lately. Was it something we said? Sunshine is nice but give me the beautiful fall colors of Kentucky anytime. Plus, call me old fashioned, but I like my Christmas white.And, from another post of yours, just because Kentucky doesn't vote the way you (or I ) would like, doesn't mean we are "apathetic" .Voter turnout is usually pretty high. Speaking for myself, I haven't missed an election since I was 18.

Ms. Thomas said...

No doubt I pay the extra rent for the weather! But when I think about how much my gas bill was, it almost balances out... almost. And only because I got a ridiculously cheap place considering what I could be paying. The perks of living next to mental patients and a couple of bikers from New York.

Phil, I love Kentucky falls and springs. I hate Kentucky (and Florida and Minnesota and Georgia) summers, and I hate Kentucky (and Wyoming and Utah and Indiana) winters. It's not that it's Kentucky as much that it is just plain unfortunate weather... unfortunate weather that I know about because people I love are still subject to it.

The apathy thing, that feeling comes from the tolerance shown to Sen. Jim Bunning by the voters of Kentucky when he made a racist joke against his competitor Mongiardo during the last election and STILL MANAGED TO GET ELECTED!?!!!

It's hard to believe, but in California people march and rise up against far less than blatant racism. Just try putting a PinkBerry yogurt hut in my funky little neighborhood... petitions and activism galore. And then a unified boycott when the corporation bought its way in.

I never knew people could care so much to actually DO something about it until I moved here. Voting is good, but voting isn't always enough. I, too, have voted in every election since I was legally able to, but that doesn't mean I'm not apathetic. Not really. It means I'm a dependable participant, which is good if that's your standard for being above apathy. My standard is just a little different now.

I'm not a KY hater. Most of the people I love are in Kentucky. Whenever anybody asks where I'm from, I still proudly proclaim I'm a Kentucky girl and a fan of the Wildcats. But being proud doesn't mean you have to settle or pretend things are better than they are. It's okay to say, "This weather sucks," and "Shame on the idiots who elected a racist." And, if you've been schooled by the ways of California, you'll take the next step and DO something besides complain.

It's okay. You can move to California too, if you want. They're very accepting here. And warm. :)

Lisa said...

Wow. I think that was the longest comment posted ever, but well put. I think Phil and I just didn't like being called suckers. ; )

Ames said...

please don't confuse apathy for stupidity... it seems to happen a lot in this state...

Ames said...

and no, i'm not calling anyone i know stupid... i'm just saying that in my 15 or so years dealing with the public in this state, i feel like i have a strong enough background to say that at least 75% of the people that i come in contact with are FUCKING STUPID. Sorry for the cursing... I just get really worked up at dumb people. Maybe I should get out of public-related jobs... hmmm..

Anonymous said...

Not only is it 77 degrees in Louisiana in Feb., but we are also home to fab elections, e.g. former Klansman, David Duke vs. Edwin Edwards, who is now seeking the support of a parole board. Who would you choose?

Y'all should all come live in hell umm ... I mean here.

Course we do have the first Indian governor ... Go Jindal!

Ms. Thomas said...

Does David Duke really still have a political career? I remember a mock election in the 8th grade when a kid named Bart ran as David Duke and actually got elected because he was the cutest candidate. I'm glad you're there to smarten 'em up Liz. There's hope for LA still.

Sorry for the long comment. I had the day off.

I was actually calling my family members suckers more than my friends... they take to my teasing a little better (I like to think of them as "conditioned").

Live where you love, wherever that may be. I haven't settled on any one place yet!

Ms. Thomas said...

Amy, remember the seasonal delights at TRU who would drive up from Pikeville to do all their shopping in one day? It was always fun to watch them try to outsmart you. Were you there the day the one woman flicked me off and walked out the door because, clearly, I was personally responsible for the toy she, clearly, needed for her life to be complete?

Pikeville is strange. Watch PBS's Country Boys. Jescolian beauty in that series.

Shanonita said...

hey, i think there are PLENTY of Stupid people EVERYWHERE (I know because I definitely have been one of them : )!. California surely has it share of dummies. And, it seems that the sunshine drives some to their death as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fran is a favorite suicide spot. I think sunshine maybe just allows you to see beyond the studpidity? I feel I have to stand up for the smart Kentuckians to combat the stereotype. Barbara Kingsolver is from KY isn't she??

Ames said...

yeah, i certainly remember those... ahem... citizens who would come in and 'brighten' our days during christmas... ahh... people...

Anonymous said...

And we have about 5" of snow here today, and it's daylight savings time tonight. Spring forward!

Anonymous said...

Seems like all of the blogs I read are from those in California. Then I find someone I actually know and turns out she's moved there too! I am definitely thinking this is a sign for me.

Heather said...

I am just too big a wimp to move too far from the ones I love. I would love to live in someplace different than where I am now, however, all my freinds and family would have to com ealong to make me truly happy. So until the majority of the special people in my life are all in another area (which is currently looking like FL may be next), I will remain in the big KY.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS