In the pouring rain.
It ended up being an alright time, except that my shoes are still drying out and will likely get that ruinous mildew smell reserved for shoes soaked once in their lives. Lisa is a running champ, and once she started going, she didn't slow down to a walk at all. I jogged probably a total of 1.5 miles and then, overheating from my wet hoodie and with a creeping sour mood from being drenched, shifted into walking mode once we were safely past the crowds of people. I couldn't look like a wuss with an audience. For the home stretch (where the crowd picked up again), I did muster one final jogging push, doing that special kind of bouncy walk/jog that old ladies (and out of shape 30-year-olds) do, and hit the finish line at 41 minutes.Then I walked back to meet up with Leiah and Ben and jogged with them across the finish line 5 minutes later.
If a 5K was made up of multiple finish lines, I could probably talk myself into jogging the entire thing. That finish line thing is a blast.
But the rain, the rain sucks.
(No, I'm not having a stroke, that's just a side effect of exercise apparently, and no, Leiah did not style her hair with pin curls, that's just a side effect of running in the rain with glasses on your head. This is no doubt the sexiest picture we have ever taken together.)

7 comments:
that is one cute picture!
good for you guys for getting out in the rain for a good cause : )
hee hee that's such a cute pic,it hardly looks like leiah. and you look like mom in the baseball cap.
you all are troopers sticking it out in the rain. i hate drenching my shoes!
I like that bonus cheek that seems to be drooping on the side of my face...
Like I said, the sexiest photo EVER!!
YAY! I'm so proud of you guys!!
You should really try a run/walk program like I do ... it's a controlled way to give yourself multiple finish lines along the way ... you run for 3 or 4 minutes, then walk for 1 minute. I tell myself "I can do anything for 3 minutes." I did 3 min run cylces for my first marathon and 2 halves and just moved to 4 min. You can buy a Timex watch with an interval timer at Target for $40. Let me know if you want to start that type of program and I can help you get set up ... you'd love it.
Actually I had to walk several times. I had to pee so bad the last two miles that I had to keep walking in order to prevent myself from completely wetting my pants. I still can't believe they only had ONE porta potty at an event primarily for women. Hello! Us moms just don't have bladder control like we used to!! I did manage to finish in 35 minutes but was really disappointed. It was great to see you and Leiah however and to meet little Ben (aka bubble boy)!!
i need to do the run/walk thing, jen. i have become desperately out of shape!
I LOVE IT!! Good for you for getting out there! I love finish lines too. . .there is just something very special about them.
Post a Comment