Mack and I were watching a really riveting and cerebral program on VH-1 called Tough Love recently. In this award-worthy reality show, couples are given relationship challenges such as "resist the whorish girl" and "tame the drunk violence," and then receive Dr. Phil-ish critiques of their behavior.
At the end of the 13-episode experience, they must make a serious and life-altering decision.
Break up or get engaged.
Because if you're on the verge of breaking up, that's really when you should be getting engaged.
Watching Tough Love got me pondering my own relationship, so I looked over at Mack and asked him. Whaddya think? Break up or get engaged.
"Let's do both."
So we did. We broke up. Actually I dumped him.
Nothing much changed, but at least we got the breaking up out of the way. Then we got dressed and went to a wedding.
Later on, while we were sitting on a rock and soaking up the sunshine, Mack asked me to marry him, partly as a joke and partly with some insecure sincerity. There was no ring, no kneeing, but something about this time was way better than the first. It was just a perfect moment of relationship stillness, and if it hadn't been for that stupid show, I may have gone the rest of my life without a guy asking to be with me.
It made all those dishes I've done the past 6 years way more worth it.
Friday, June 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Very sweet ... the re-proposal part, not the breaking up part : )
Congratulations! Does this mean you get another wedding to go along with your three weddings? Maybe I can make this one. . .
No. More. Weddings.
Only parties where I get to wear flowy white dresses ;)
Post a Comment