Saturday, July 09, 2011

Bakers, Like, Totally

For whatever reason, when I come to LA to visit my in-laws I like to bake. It started a couple Christmases ago when I decided I wanted to try to make Bourbon balls as gifts for friends and former colleagues I'd be visiting, and since then it's sort of been something I do with help from Laila.

Together, Laila and I have made Christmas cookies, lemon meringue pie (a disaster!), coconut cream pie, and, most recently, carrot cake and red velvet cupcakes. I LOVE carrot cake and this recipe was just amazing, as was the accompanying recipe for cream cheese icing.

Laila is usually involved in the process at the very beginning and at the very end. Like I say, "Hmmm, what should we make?" and then once it's made, she comes in and decorates or eats, depending on what's necessary. This time she got extra crafty with the decorations on the cupcakes, adding squares of chocolate, chocolate shavings and even shredded coconut to the menu of toppings.
 Baking with Laila is definitely becoming one of my favorite LA traditions, right up there with Real Food Daily.

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS