Saturday, March 01, 2014

Precious Moments

Seeing my dad standing next to a herd of Amish people when I exit airport security and throwing him a smirk that gets us both laughing out loud.

Walking into my parents house and hearing Ben scream, "AMMIIII!!" while throwing his scrawny little arms in the air. Then hearing Renee and Lilly join the chorus of auntie joy and scooping all of their tiny bodies up in my arms and mashing kisses into their faces. Then trying to put a spell on Kieron with my auntie charm and him having none of it. Then stealing his pacifier and tickling his neck. If he won't love me willingly, he'll be tortured into it.

Waking up to two little doggies bouncing all over the bed and cleaning my face with kisses. Then looking up at my mom who is smiling at the insanity.

Finishing an article and looking at the entrance to Third Street Stuff at the exact moment Ruble walks in. Soaking up one of my oldest friends in a hug-that-lasts-too-long-for-public-appropriateness and then heading off to drink vanilla porters and have conversation that is as easy and as vital as breathing air.

Crossing the street into a celebration of art that was just an idea, barely even a word when I left Lexington, and seeing the faces of some of the most inspiring and unstoppable women I've ever met. Taking in the electric fruits of their labor and wishing I had an entire weekend to toast their existence.

Jennifer opening the door of her mom's house, leading me to the kitchen, and handing me a miniature version of herself, with long lashes and curious blue eyes that want nothing to do with me because I am nothing compared to her incredible mommy. Sitting on the floor and laughing at Charlotte exploring all the things that are off limits and feeling so proud of Jen, the mother she is, the children she's raising. Eating every last morsel of the veggie hot brown at Ramsey's and sharing a piece of pie with someone so special to me there are no words for it. 

Climbing out of bed under the spell of bacon smell and sitting in a trance in front of a plate of bacon and Daddy-eggs for breakfast on Saturday morning. Spending too much time in my jammies talking to my parents about nothing in particular and everything important.

Hunting for tights at TJ Maxx and getting caught by Leiah full-on shopping. Then shopping with Leiah.

Swimming through the smell of cologne to give Shannon a hug and harassing her man-friend about his cropped sweatshirt. Taking in the sunshine at the patio of Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot and sharing bites of everything my sisters ordered without anyone trying to stop me.

Watching the last few minutes of a UK game next to a fan about to have a stroke who kept screaming cuss words at the television and feeling so grateful that I don't have to hang out with an asshole like that.

Leigh walking in. Betsy walking in. Life feeling so full of love it could burst. 

Getting dressed with my sisters for a night on the town. Performing Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart with Leiah and as much gusto as I can muster in platform stilettos without breaking an ankle. Playing blackjack to Shannon's right and not losing all of my money to her. Drinking too much Bourbon and hijacking the photo booth for way too long. Faint memories of making it rain with three dollars.


Waking up on the trundle bed next to my wife, who immediately says something hilarious that makes the pounding in my head lighten up. Going for spicy Vietnamese food and coconut water with Leigh before climbing onto the Tempurpedic mat laying on the floor of my parents' living room and abolishing a hangover with a long afternoon nap in front of a fire. Sitting at the island with my parents eating baked cod and raspberry spinach salad made by the best parents in the world.

Feeling the zap of static electricity when dropping my mom off at work in the morning and giving her a kiss goodbye.

Trolling antique stores and boutiques with Heather for treasures we don't need but can't resist. Stopping for lunch at Krave for ridiculous pimento cheese and iced tea. Having an effortless good time with someone I've known so long she is forever a piece of me. Picking her kids up from school and feeling disbelief that her son is the age we were when we met. Realizing how inconsequential and astoundingly precious time is.

Walking into Lilly's daycare and seeing her face when she sort-of recognizes me but isn't sure because I shouldn't be there. Then seeing her face beam when I give her a wave and her suspicion is confirmed. Wanting to jump the fence to scoop her up in my arms and instead kneeling down and kissing her through the gate. Snatching that melty chocolate goodness baby up in my arms and going to get her brother. Sending Lilly in to the circle of big kids that her brother is a part of and blowing up his day with a surprise. Breaking both of them out and going to get their Gigi from work. Listening to the squeals of "Gigi!" when my mom walks out of work and Lilly sees her coming toward the car. Going through the drive thru at Chik-fil-a to order a ton of food and having Ben roll down his window to yell at the drive-thru lady, "We're having a party!"

Having a party with kids styling their hair with too much pomade, impromtu games of "where'd your eyeballs go?," and quiet gratitude for all the people I get to adore in the midst of the noisy chaos that is the manifestation of love between us.


4 comments:

Laurie said...

Glad you enjoy your trips home so much. My trips home don't have that many "precious moments!" Next time you come to KY I'd love to see you! That being said I know how fast and full of commitments those trips are so I won't be offended if it doesn't happen :)

Ms. Thomas said...

I was hoping I'd get a minute to grab a beer with you and the LAL gals but it was madness. Next time we'll make it happen! Don't let the snow kill you :)

Jen said...

What a treat to be included in such a special group of people! It was such a breath of fresh air to get to see you, to eat (a lot), to talk and just to be together. I can't wait to get out to LA for a visit! I simply adore you!

Anonymous said...

Love.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS