We, okay I, fell for one of those radio FREE TRIP TO VEGAS scams when we first moved here, and then, after weekly calls from Consolidated Cons, er, I mean, Consolidated Resorts, I caved. We needed a trip out of town, we didn't have a lot of money, we needed to officially get married, and I had to have something to look forward to over Thanksgiving since I wasn't spending it with my lovelies. We secured our three night, four day package in exchange for two hours of being subjected to high pressure sales tactics and headed to Sin City. As we pulled into the Frontier, which is understandably scheduled for demolition because the walls are now exhaling cigarette smoke, Mack actually lit up brighter than the sign at the words, "cold beer dirty girls."

I'm scared to gamble. I used to play blackjack with David at the Indiana riverboats, but only because I knew if I didn't know what to do I could just look at Dave and he'd tell me. Plus, he always seemed to have lost more money than me and that kept me from feeling guilty. Other than that, I had no desire to gamble, and the last time I was in Vegas with Kate, neither one of us placed a single bet.
This trip to Vegas things went a little differently. I plunked $1 into a slots machine and ended up with 200 credits (a whopping $5).

While I sunk into a slots-induced coma, Mack sauntered up to the craps table. He stood back for a while and watched, then he started asking the dealers questions, then he came skipping over to me to deliver $60 in chips. Craps had recruited some fresh meat.

In my slot zombie state, I couldn't accept any new knowledge and refused to play craps, but the second day in Vegas, I threw the dice after being sponsored by a neighboring player and turned $10 into $30. A few hours later, trying to get rid of the $10 in chips we had left from one casino, I threw the dice again, and $10 became $50. A few hours later, as we stopped to play once more on our way to the room for the night, a table of Chinese people were winning left and right on a Hi/Low bet with 31:1 odds. Craps, it turns out, is the shit.
4 comments:
I was worried when I first read the title but your story had a happy ending. I meant to call you last night but the 8 hour time difference really poses a challenge!
Did you ever find out what's behind the sign "cold beer and dirty girls?"
Yeah, remember that old movie with John Travolta and Debra Winger where he plays Bud and she plays Sissy and they live in a trailer and that other cowboy eats the tequila worm? Well, the Frontier has the restaurant in that movie inside of it -- Gilley's. I loved that movie, but the Gilley's at Frontier sucked compared to the one on Urban Cowboy. Great flick though, if you haven't watched it.
When I started reading this, I thought, "Oh shit, she bought a timeshare!" Oh wait, that was me! I will never fall for one of those trips again. By the way, congratulations on the marriage!
So you're wise to those "free trip" deals, and your no longer a Scott, and you're officially old because you remember the movie Urban Cowboy. Welcome to my world. I too, am wise to those "free trip" deals, am no longer a Scoot and am officially old because I remember the movie Urban Cowboy. Wow, now all you have to do is get pudgy and flabby and we'll be twins. I'll always have more lines and wrinkles than you because I do have a the age advantage. ACT - your new initials. Put successful in front and "ress" on the end and we can all retire. Muah!
Post a Comment