Sunday, January 21, 2007

I Guess I Should Be Flattered

Being married comes with such bonuses as someone to bring in all the groceries, someone to park the car and someone to deliver the rent check. It also keeps you from having to go to the movies alone and makes cooking dinner a little more rewarding. But my favorite part of being married is that arsenal of secrets that gets bigger every day you're together because you just can't hide your true self. For instance...

Sometimes the urge to dance takes control of my body and I end up flailing my arms and gyrating my hips in the middle of the kitchen at totally inappropriate and uninspired times. Fortunately, Mack isn't gifted in the area of dance, so when he laughs, I know he is laughing with me and not at me. Normally he just cocks one eyebrow and does a laugh/sigh/huff combo while trying to keep his eyes from rolling back into his head. It's very sweet.

But yesterday, I saw through his masked kindness. My dancing was inspired for once, as I'd just finished watching J. Lo's MTV show Dance Life, and I went to celebrate something, like paying the rent or finally having food, with my mad skillz. Mack, entranced by the World of Warcraft, glanced my way before saying, "You remind me of Domo Kun."

He's said this to me before and explained it, but part of what makes our marriage work is that I forget everything he tells me and that makes his stories seem brand new every time. It was part of the contract. So, I couldn't remember Domo Kun, but I could remember having mixed feelings about it. Here's why...

Domo Kun is potentially adorable, potentially fierce, and potentially a fuzzy turd with an angry mouth. He is sturdy, but square, strong yet shapeless. He has nice, bright teeth. He is either scowling or laughing uncontrollably.

Since the association isn't exactly clear to my delicate id, let's look further.






In social situations, Domo Kun appears to be helpful, although he could also be leading other creatures to dangerous situations or justifying abandoning them altogether. He watches television and either interacts with it as a friend or battles it like a foe. I, for one, tend to smile vacantly at the television, whether I'm watching High Maintenance 90210 or Man Vs. Wild. Mack is the one who yells at the television from across the room, especially if White Rapper is on.

I'm still not entirely convinced that the association is a good thing, but I guess it could be worse. At least he's not saying, "You remind me of a fuzzy square turd who tries to eat kittens and lead others to certain death."

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ha ha! If Mack thinks your dancing is bad, I don't want him to ever see me - I'm a total white girl!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS