Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Unpacking the Boxes

We moved. I don't actually mind moving, especially when it means we get two bedrooms and more cabinet space than we really know what to do with for less than we were paying. I guess I should qualify that -- I don't mind packing and unpacking boxes. I hate the heavy lifting part of moving.

Because we have extra closet space, I've decided now is the time to go through all my crap and get rid of some of it. Some of it is just too good to throw out without one more laugh, so, my fine friends, be on the lookout for some of my purged crap to come your way.

I'm one box in so far, and I just opened the big red trunk that is officially so heavy I can no longer lift it. Right on top, front and center, floating above everything else was my Youth Walk Devotional Bible... with strips of paper referencing specific scriptures tucked in between pages... looking like I used the thing all the time. I went through what Shannon calls a Jesus, Goodie Goodie phase when I was about 13. Here's my take on it. Church was where my friends and I hung out. A church retreat was a good excuse to spend the weekend with friends, even if it did mean we had to watch videos of aborted babies in buckets. Church was the organization that took me to concerts where I could hold hands with boys. Shannon remembers it differently. According to her, I was all Ms. Perfect and completely Jesused out, and she has shared her version of reality with Mack. He mostly believed me until I popped the top on the red trunk tonight and there was my nicely worn devotional bible. And if that wasn't bad enough, it had one of those spin the wheel to the way you're feeling and get some suggested scripture to read thingies. And if that wasn't bad enough, it also had this:
That's right, personalized Jesus notes. I still feel like it was more of a social thing than a religion thing, but there is evidence to the contrary now. And when I discovered this next gem, I really started to wonder if I'm not a little mental:
That's right. It's a calendar. A calendar from 1992. A calendar that my dear friend Heather, who was one of the friends I went to lock ins with and at whose church I probably still hold the record for most Papa John's pepperocinis consumed in a contest, gave me Christmas of 1991. When I was 13. When I didn't really need a calendar to plan anything. I'm sure I loved this calendar because it had lions on it and I was in a lion phase when I was in my Jesus phase, but I know I loved it more because Heather had touched it and had given it to me and anything she touched and gave to me, I worshipped. Maybe it wasn't Jesus I was on fire for, after all. Either way, I have lugged that damn calendar around with me for FIFTEEN YEARS now. That calendar has been with me from Louisville to Lake Charles to my parents' house in Lexington to my college in Lexington to my first apartment in Lexington to my first rental house in Lexington to my first purchased house to my storage unit to my first Los Angeles apartment and now to my second Los Angeles apartment. I'm officially throwing it out. If I've managed to keep Heather this long, I don't need to hang on to this calendar anymore.

I also kept these dumb things, my nametag from Heather's bachelorette party because someday she and I are going to be in the same room with my 300 pound red trunk and I'm going to remember I have this and pull it out and she will chuckle for one second and it will have been worth hauling it around for the last decade and a sign I flashed at cars when Heather and I were driving to Daytona Beach for Spring Break. The other side said SHOW YOUR TITS, but I figured since I was already showing a penis I'd tone it down, in case Jesus reads my blog and he's mad about what I said earlier.

Oh, lookey here. A Polly Pocket world without any Polly Pockets. Thank god I have this since I am 29!
I also found an entire bag weighing about 8 pounds of stuff from a friendship with a girl I knew named Leslie Smith. Leslie was my best friend before I fell in love with Heather and she stole me away (because her church was cooler). Leslie moved to Texas about the same time I moved to Louisiana. We stayed in touch until the end of high school. Last I heard she was valedictorian and a bonified genius. She was fun, but I remember we used to fight like cats and dogs. And we ate pickles until we were sick. And her brother played basketball and when I cheered for him, he would get furious and tell his parents to make me stop. They were larger people and I remember they used to lock the doors on Saturday morning because that was when they had sex. They were very nice to me though. They always took me to Chinese for lunch after church, and since it was my first exposure to Chinese, I decided to keep a menu remnant and a fortune cookie wrapper for the next 19 years.
(It reads, "My Year, 1990, Sesame with Leslie and Smith's," just like that with bad apostrophes and everything.)

Leslie had this video game where you dissected bodies and I always killed the patients because I wasn't good at the mouse scalpel. We played light as a feather, stiff as a board during one of her slumber parties and it actually worked, probably because her older brother was able to lift the girl up. She was the girl I made puff paint shirts with, the girl who gave me the nickname Ammi and she was Lesi, even though both nicknames sound dumb.
She was the girl I went to the mall with and ate at the Great Steak and Fry with. Regardless of my fond memories, I do not need to keep the gift bag with irises that she gave me anymore. I have no idea where Leslie is or what she is doing, and this bag of junk doesn't reveal either. I will only keep the photos... because we seem so small and yet so confident... and the letters... because letter writing is a dying art. I will throw away the clay pigeon I dropped at camp one summer with Leslie and then told everyone I shot it.

Luckily the stuff I have from my friendship with Erica Herren is limited to a self-laminated frumpy award, which I earned by virtue of being a slob with her. I also have a button from a trip to Disney World with my family in 1996, I think. More than 10 years ago. A button that says, "I Had a Blast." I, in fact, did not have a blast. We ate breakfast with Goofy and went on a ride that forever etched "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" into the memories of all my family members, and the whole trip cost so much that I had to finance my college education. I have the button, and I still have the student loan. (Did I mention I also kept the guide book and the claim check for the luggage?!!!)

Here is some crap I am keeping, because I'm not to that point yet with these things.

My Little League baseball cap. This season changed my life. I learned how to bunt AND take teasing from my peers and coaches. I also caught my first fly ball.
My Toys R Us name badge. As long as I have this, I have a job waiting for me.

10 comments:

Shanonita said...

omigod! You are insane!! Why didn't you throw that stuff out before you moved across the country to CA? Oh, I know why...you wanted to marry Mack before he realized what a weirdo you are : ) What about your cross-stitch bible protector? Did you find that? You save some weird sh*%. I didn't even know we had a guide book when we went to Disney World and I think it was more than 10 years ago...I think it was 13 years ago. I was 18 and am now 31--you do the math. Of course, you were the one that collected SOAP--Tyler Durden, anyone? Do you still have any of your little soaps?
love you

Jen said...

I haven't even read the entire post, but I'm shocked that I got things from your "I"m moving to Cali" yard sale like the coolest entertaining dishes ever, a lamp, a cake holder, shot glasses, etc. These things you gave away, but you kept things from your friendship with some Leslie chick. Didn't your Mom teach you anything about packing up stuff like this and leaving it in her attic?

Anonymous said...

This has to be one of my favorite posts! Its so fun to go back through and look at the things that used to be so important to you. I have a single box that I've hauled around since my mom left for Kuwait 6 years ago. Its filled with the things that I couldn't stand to see go into storage when we were packing up my room that I'd only moved out of a year ago. Soon, we'll have to unpack everything that got packed up back then and I'm sure I'll revert and feel as though I MUST have some of these memories to stuff into the back corners of my closet.

--Melissa

Heather said...

You are a nut. I am still a Jesus freak going to the same church and always will. I do miss the fun social care free side of beinga high school Jesus freak though. I saw the bomb on bus sign and about peed myself. We saw so many nasty man tits on that trip. That trip was so much fun, well minus Mark, Matt, and Erin. Me, you, and Denny were all fun! Too bad we almost had to die for those fun memories. That White Castle in FL will get you every time!!!
Do you have any photos from our armless adventures by chance? Now that would make me pee my pants. I hate when the sun fades the carpet!

Ms. Thomas said...

Shannon, first rule of fight club is we don't talk about fight club. And, coincidentally, first rule of cross-stitch bible club is we don't talk about cross-stitch bible club.

Ms. Thomas said...

Heather, the armless adventure I cannot even think of without succumbing to uncontrollable laughter, so thank god there are no photos. not only would they be incriminating, but i wouldn't be able to contain myself!

Shanonita said...

by the way, that penis sign is scary, gross and creepy. why would you put your name on a penis? gave me bad dreams. i would throw it out right away and also remove the evidence that it existed from your blog.

Gadabout said...

I find it all very intersting and...well, I'll have to think about it some more. PS I still have your little yellow pancho that you wore at Disney World. You sure looked like you were having a good time?

Anonymous said...

I also have a button from a trip to Disney World with my family in 1996, I think. More than 10 years ago. A button that says, "I Had a Blast." I, in fact, did not have a blast. ..... and the whole trip cost so much that I had to finance my college education. I have the button, and I still have the student loan.

I am pondering that part of this post. READ: You had no fun on that trip, period. READ: financed by your irresponsible parents who spent your college fund on the trip to Disney Hellville, leaving you pay for your college and acquire long-term student loan debt. Wow. Ouch. Perception is reality, so I can't discount your reality. But it is completely different than my reality. I'm with Gadabout. I'm going to have to think more about it.

Ms. Thomas said...

Don't tell my fun-o-meter, my achy breaky fun-o-meter...

It was fun, but only because my family is so funny when sporting matching yellow ponchos that cost $18 a piece and battling over a single umbrella. So, while I didn't have what I would classify as a "blast," I did have a lot of fun and appreciate my selfless parents giving beyond what's expected to take me to Disney World and to send me to college.

In Jamaica this Christmas I will demonstrate a "blast." It will probably be so fun you cry.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS