I don't know if it's because I'm older or because I'm broke, but for whatever reason, a pie-making marathon seemed like the funnest Friday idea ever, especially when it could double as a "birthday gift" for Mack. So exciting an idea, mind you, that I actually planned for it since Wednesday and spent my lunch break today walking to multiple grocery stores to get all the necessary supplies -- including organic shortening that is hydrogenated oil free! Thrilling barely begins to describe it.
I've just plopped pie number 3 in the oven -- a delicacy I'm calling "Midnight Blueberry" -- and when I came out of my "pastry zone," which can be no doubt equated with the zone that athletes speak of, I looked up and realized my glasses were filthy. Smudgy. Pitiful.
Naturally I took them off, wiped them on my shirt -- which is proper glasses maintenance, FYI -- and realized that the problem wasn't my glasses... it was the smokey pie haze that had accumulated in the air courtesy of that one Saturday when the pizza decided to dump its toppings in the bottom of the oven. Isn't DiGiorno the sweetest?
So, now my Friday has really amped up... from pie making to floor mopping to... wait for it... sitting on the stoop writing a blog post about pie making!!! I'm thinking I may just pull out the Annie Dilliard Reader and really get this party started with a book my mom recommends and a bottle of red wine. Because I can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I'm going to have to remove your blog link from my blog because if Mike sees your pies, he will be on the first bus to California to steal you away from Mack. Seriously - those look sooooo yummy! I have never been a great baker, so I totally admire your Friday night of fun! Next time you're in Cincy we're definitely going to make one hell of a dinner for ourselves!
damn! those pies are awesome! who's going to eat all of those pies? How did you manage to take good pictures of them. food photography is more difficult than human photography
Wow. Nice pies
Post a Comment