The place looked like a roadside shack, where genuine drinkers go to ease the pain, and as we past it I said, "We've got to go there."
Liz knows all about Annie's. Apparently she stayed there one night easing her pain and had Amy pick her up -- from the bar -- the next morning to catch a flight to Kentucky. That's what Annie's does. It sucks you in and gives you a place to wallow.
I'd left my ID in my suitcase with my boarding pass, so getting a beer wasn't as breezy as I thought it was going to be. The bartender refused to serve me even after I explained the ID traveling 30 years old story, when a woman three stools over asked me where I was visiting from. I told her California, Los Angeles, and that when we'd drove by earlier I'd told Liz we had to stop here and get a beer. The woman, Bonnie, called me over to "get a look" at me, had me take off my glasses, and okayed me for a beer. Since she was the owner, the bartender reluctantly complied, but not before a few cuss words were thrown around the room.
The bartender was a bitch. But Bonnie was awesome.
She'd been running Annie's for 26 years and had been living in Lake Charles for 40. As she explained, she was a "coon ass by injection." She'd named the bar for her grandmother, who used to go into bars in the days when women would cross the street to avoid walking in front of them. Bonnie called her a feminist. I understood.
Liz said I had to see the bathroom before we left, so I made my way to the back and, after a confrontation with a beetle the size of King Kong, went into the ladies room. It reminded me of my grandma's basement, where all the retired furniture and velvet paintings went to live. Delightfully tacky, yet refined, if you will.
We had to leave to meet up with Amy, but Bonnie told us to stop by on Saturday night for karaoke. She said things really get rolling at around 2:30... a.m. Good to know for the next time I visit Lake Charles.




4 comments:
We've come a long way, baby. The first night I drank 'till light there I was having Pabst. You and I, my friend, were toasting Annie's with the most expensive beer there, Corona.
I seem to remember other enabling friends, Shannon, who let me drink all night and get on a plane. I think my hair is still oily.
Love the peacock baby.
and you mean passed not past. i know you wish you were here to slap me. i wish you were too.
Damn you Joan.
No, Pabst. http://www.pabstblueribbon.com
how soon you forget about the piss water of the south
Post a Comment