Across the street from '50s is a little pet shop, so after we eat, we've been stopping in to look at the corn snakes and pistol shrimp and snapping turtles and little baby bunnies. During our first pass through it was a pretty typical pet shop, but on our most recent visit, we started to notice its creepy underbelly.
Like this thing.
Know what it is?Would it surprise you to know it's a freakin' shark egg? Because it blew my mind.
Here I'd gone 30 years thinking sharks were mammals, believing that they shot out baby sharks like killer whales shoot out baby killer whales. But no, they're egg layers. Just like a bunch of chickens.
As if that wasn't enough to make me stand there slack jawed in the middle of the pet shop, then I looked more closely and holy crap. There was the egg yolk, an umbilical cord and a little shark swimming around in that sack acting all frustrated that it couldn't get out.

5 comments:
Ew! This grosses me out more than your last post. I didn't know sharks laid eggs either.
Lisa
Ha ha. I have a story (i know your surprised). We used to torment the snapper in biology at UK. The dumb thing would just sit in the aquarium with it's mouth wide open. When a pencil would magically appear in his mouth- he would snap it in half. Crazy.
so are sharks stripy when their in the egg?
--shan
This pet shop variety is stripy.
Man, we'd make awesome scientists.
I don't suppose gills were your first clue?
Post a Comment