I don't watch any football. Ever.
I used to watch college basketball, but since the team I root for (CATS!) doesn't ever get played on TV on this side of the country, my college basketball watching is officially dormant.
Which means that aside from the Olympics, I don't watch sports.
Which means that it's no big deal for me to be at an airport on Super Bowl Sunday during the Big Game.
This year I was in Memphis. I was at Lenny's sandwich shop getting a tuna sub with baked BBQ potato chips and preparing to head to Gate B10 to read my New Yorker and my OK! magazines. The only thing I knew about either of the teams is that one was there on luck alone and one of the players used to bag groceries.
With dinner in hand, I started to walk down the terminal and noticed the gait of my fellow travelers as they approached big screen TVs. They slowed down like they were running out of batteries, their jaws loosened, their eyes glazed over, and they stood, in a trance, watching padded men chase each other around. They would dam up the terminal hallway ever 50 feet and then, when a whistle blew, they would break from their huddles and try to get a little closer to their own gates.
We are funny monkeys.
Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Honestly Ms.T, I would have been the lead of the pack to watch those big screens. I LOVE football and basketball!
Thank goodness football is over!!!! I know that glazed over look all to well. David watched at least one college bowl game every day of his paternity leave. I mean Hello! Paternity leave is meant to help the mom with new babe not overdose on sports! Vent over. Lisa
Post a Comment