Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Magical Wonders of the Outside Experience

This winter was spent in the jungle of my living room, with doors closed to other areas of the house, curtains cloaking the gray outside, and a New Mexican-flavored down comforter on top of my body. Which is to say I did not leave and barely moved because I did not like leaving or moving and because I did not remember how the cold could be so cruel.

But now, amazing.

Springtime (fingers crossed it lasts until June) in Kentucky is like breathing air again after being dead for a while. I love that the non-Gism trees are just getting buds on them so that I can watch the exposed squirrels playing on the naked branches and see where the birds are making their nests. You can't see that in the summer because of all the leaves.
I love that one day there's nothing out by the front porch and the next we've got bright red tulips and fluffy pink hyacinths. It's like a little surprise party, thrown and decorated by Mother Nature.
I've wandered into no fewer than six trees trying to get a closer look at their blooms. I just love the contrast of the cold, dark bark against the delicate, bright blooms and the soft blue sky... And that I wear glasses or else I'd be really embarrassed that, yeah, I'm blind by stabbing myself in the eye with a tree branch that was still attached to a tree.
It's true that every day in California is like this time of year in Kentucky, but when you factor in the thrill of change, Kentucky is winning. At springtime anyway.

7 comments:

Mack said...

Are you kidding me?

Mack said...

No, really... Are you kidding me? That's all it takes to win you back? Three measly good days and you are singing the praises of Kentucky weather? Give me a break. How quickly you forget the PUNISHMENT we went through. You are a turncoat - California doesn't want you back. There, you went and did it.


Halfway joking.

Lisa said...

I've been thinking that spring is now my favorite season too. This past winter was too long and harsh. I'm going to start saving for a winter home somewhere.

ps LOVE the photo of the tree. Is that a dogwood?

Ms. Thomas said...

Not sure what kind of tree that is Lisa.

And Mack, don't rain on my pleasure parade. Maybe if you left the house ever you'd see for yourself that it really is awesome out there. Not awesome like roses in January awesome, but awesome like newness awesome. Go on, try it... before allergies kick in!

Jen said...

Did hell just freeze ... did KY just win one battle in the fight against CA??

I love spring as well! It does make winter worthwhile and gives you change to look forward to each year.

Ms. Thomas said...

It's true. Kentucky is better than California 23 days of the year once you factor in the desperation of winter ;)

Anonymous said...

Aww. Now you are starting to see KY beauty. This is a wonderful time of year!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS