Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ya'll 'member Jesco???

The Dancing Outlaw? The one who was half spray paint huffer, half mountain genius? The one who threatened to murder his wife Priscilla if she made sloppy, slimy eggs?

Well, he's baaaaaccccccckkkkkkk.
I read today that there's a new documentary about Jesco White and his family coming out called The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia and I am soooo excited about it.

Jesco tap danced his way into my heart during an Advanced Writing for the Mass Media class I took in college. He was shocking... for his idiocy and his brilliance... and it's good to see he's not only still alive but still living in his crazy way.

For reasons that aren't entirely noble, I love mountain people. I love hollers and twang and twisted logic and the incomprehensible, self-induced tragedy that these people rise above time after time.

A few years ago Mack and I got hooked on the PBS series Country Boys, where one of the main subjects was a death-metal sex-having teenager aspiring to be a youth pastor and the other was a great-in-his-own-mind dreamer who decided it was more important for him to work at Taco Bell than get a free ride to college.

Those country boys were good, but they were no Jesco. They were nothing like the Whites.

3 comments:

Jen said...

WOW ... very interesting.

Anonymous said...

HOLY SH**!! You gotta be kidding me! This is the best news I have heard in a while! Woot! And Amber, they ain't mountain people, thems hillbillies and Jesco can really tap the house down. Priscilla just doesn't know how good she has it, uh. ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I read the article I some of the comments do not embrace the Dancing Outlaw in all of his glory. What's wrong with people these days! The Whites family is extreme! Geez ol' Pete.

I am just so excited about someone checkin on Jesco.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS