Monday, October 25, 2010

Sure, trust me with people's lives.

Nursing school is going great. I got an A on my first exam, am getting Satisfactories on my care plans and assessments, and was allowed to shadow a nurse for the first time ever last week.

If only I didn't fail skills all. the. time.

So far I've had to go to remediation for two skills. Two out of four. Wanna know which two? Temperature taking (with a glass thermometer) and injections.

Wanna know why I failed? Well, I wanted to leave the thermometer in the pooper for 5 minutes when it only needs to be in there for two. And with injections, well, I forgot to put on gloves. Something about touching a blob of pretend flesh on a table top just didn't inspire me to glove up the way a human's greasy abdomen would.

Remediation is pretty painless. The teacher looks at you like, why are you stupid and how is this possibly challenging to you, if you can't do this you shouldn't really be pursuing this career path. And then you redo the skill for her, paying extra attention to emphasize the part you got wrong the first time. You ought to see the way I put on gloves now.

I managed to pass medication administration and doing an all-over physical assessment on the first try, and I plan to redeem myself for being a 50% failure on the next check off. That's right, crutch walking. I'm making you my bitch.

4 comments:

Jen said...

If you were taking my temp via the pooper, I think I'd prefer 2 minutes to 5 : ) You are doing awesome!!

Megan said...

Are you taking infant temps? What adult gets their temp taken in the poop shoot?

Ms. Thomas said...

More importantly, what nurse uses a mercury thermometer? The ones we use beep when ready regardless of where you stick them.

They were probably created because of people like me...

Anonymous said...

I like your attitude.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS