Monday, April 30, 2012

My very first mini marathon!

Hellllloooo. You know me. I did not run a mini marathon. But I did go to one and cheer and hold up witty signs.

Ruble, who could build a spaceship if someone told her she couldn't, ran her SECOND mini marathon on Saturday. We haven't been able to see each other much lately since I've been busy with school and she's been traveling with work, so I headed to Louisville to cheer her to the finish line much like she's been cheering me to the finish line of nursing school. Which is to say she meets me for drinks after every test.
Not the type of drinks we normally have together.
Luckily, Steve has some previous experience as spectator and he came with custom-made Bloody-Mary-On-The-Go Kits, which made spectating a lot more fun.
There were about 18,000 runners, but Ruble was easy to spot with her bright pink shirt and glowing attitude. I swear she sprinted to the finish line and barely looked like she'd broken a sweat. I think she could have gone at least another 13 miles. I also think she's probably thinking about smacking me for saying that.


The runners, who were all shapes and sizes, were pretty entertaining, if you like watching a horde of lunatics jaunting past you. We saw Spartans and Elvises and guys in tuxedo jackets with tails and girls in tutus. But none of those people were as awesome to watch as Ruble, who once again was taking a challenge head on and fighting her way through it with grace and laughter and the quiet motivation that comes from the promise of a cold beer.

Way to go Ruble! I am so proud of you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the bestest!!! Thank you for being there to celebrate with me. It was amazing! Sometimes you just have to challenge yourself...why in the world i pick that for a challenge beats me. But i am thankful that I have wonderful support around me. Besides, who else would i enjoy my beer with. ha ha ha. I love you!!

Lisa said...

Congrats to Ruble! Y'all make me want to run it again. I didn't have the beer. I thought I was too close to collapse already. Ruble looks awesome though!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS