Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cornbread you have to try before the world ends.

You have 3 days to make and eat this.


I'm only enh about cornbread but when my mom makes this, I get all OMGOMGOMGOMG about it. I don't know if it's the zucchini or the onion or what, but I love the texture and heftiness of this cornbread. It's a little, hmmm, gooeyish, when it's still warm, but I usually can't wait for it to cool, so I just make cornbread butter mash and eat it with a fork. I look real sexy when that happens, let me tell you.

Zucchini Onion Cornbread

Mix these dry ingredients with a whisk in a large bowl. Make sure it is large because you'll be pouring the wet ingredients down there into it in a minute.

2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried lemon peel

Mix these wet ingredients in a separate bowl using a rubber spatula.

3 egg whites and 1 whole egg beaten well with a whisk
1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk, do not substitute
3 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini
1/2 cup vegetable oil, not olive oil
1 medium onion chopped fine

Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix into a batter.

Spray a glass baking dish with Pam (we use a round stoneware or casserole dish, but you can also use a preheated iron skillet or a muffin tin if you want bite sized cornbreads).

Pour in the batter.

Bake at 425 degrees 25 to 35 minutes. May take less time in preheated iron skillet or as muffins. It should be golden brown on top and have a clean toothpick when inserted.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting or it may crumble. (Ain't that a cute suggestion? Clearly this recipe was written before the end of the world was just a few days away...)


1 comment:

Jen said...

Thank goodness I have more time to try this recipe now that the world didn't end : )

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS