Friday, September 05, 2014

The Electric Slide

A couple months ago, Mack, Laila, Shahin and I walked into a Ford dealership to test drive a car. I believe my last words as we walked out of the house were, "We are not buying a car today." 

About two hours later, we were the new leasers of a Ford C-max Energi, which is a hatchback that is all electric for about 21 miles and is then a hybrid. Can I just say that we got this car on July 5, have gone 2000 miles that include long trips, and have put one tank of gas in it? Yes, I can.

It has a backing up camera. And bluetooth. And a touchscreen. And voice commands.
Getting gas is pretty much the most annoying task of my life. That and dusting. Which is why I try to do neither and have been stranded more times than any human should be. Now, I never buy gas and it is amazing. I plug my car in when I get out of it at home, I unplug it when I leave, and life is simple and great. And my car is so stealth that I could do drive-bys if I was into that kind of thing.

There was a situation with the battery the second day I had it where I went to start the car and NOTHING. So I took Mack's car to work, he called the dealership, they towed it in, and the next day, I had my car back. Apparently there's a thing where batteries can be bad. I have had zero problems since then. In fact, I've had negative problems because I NEVER BUY GAS!

We didn't really need a new car, but once I realized I was paying $160/month for gas on a car that lost all its value the minute we finally paid it off, I was over it. We leased this one for two reasons: I have no doubt the mileage capacity on a charge is going to increase over the next three years and the last time we bought a car, our payments-to-value-at-the-end averaged out to being the same on a new leased car with no equity when it was all said and done. Isn't that depressing? So I decided that if you pay more than $5000 for a car, it's not worth it to own it. That just a little thing I call Math. So now I drive a little thing I call Spaceship.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love that this car is still a little bit lesbian. And that you're getting amazing gas mileage. And you!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS