Saturday, March 18, 2006

WE CAN DO IT!

I've been complaining about going to Ford's Fitness Center for a week now. It's hands down the best gym in the city, and as proof there are intense action photographs and Arnold Schwarzenegger's body building portfolio shots adorning the mirrored walls. Oh, and it's where the Mexicans go, and if you've ever watched boxing, you know they're physical little sticks of dynamite. Anyway, turns out the gym is as good for the mind as it is for the body.

After realizing I'd stepped in dog shit as I went to do my crunches, I went to the locker room to treat myself to the glamorous task of cleaning it off. There at the entrance, next to the 1984 Los Angeles female body building champion, was Rosie the Riveter, functional and flexing. A little piece of paper taped on the wall next to this all-too-familiar image offered a new appreciation for it. Rose William Nelson, a Kentucky gal with roots in Pulaski County who went to Detroit to make a living to support her family when her husband died, was the inspiration for Rosie the Riveter and, in essence, the inspiration for women joining the workforce. Oh, where have all the inspiring Kentucky gals gone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken Rosie was given a man's arm because hers wasn't beef enough:)

fourlittlefish said...

I know of an inspiring Kentucky gal, one who has made a difference, demonstrated strong leadership, creativity and published a unique and powerful magazine, promoting The Women's Writers' Conference, local and regional artists, and unique individuals, making it a reality at the tender age of 25. She's a Kentucky gal who is moving on down the road to begin her exciting bright future in another State. Someday in the future she may return to Kentucky bringing her expanded skills, talent, knowledge, experience, education, teachings and wisdom. Do you know what an inspiration that is and has been to the rest of us to want to live better?

Ms. Thomas said...

I deleted a post from Anonymous, not because I object to free speech or am trying to censor what is said, but because this dialogue is ridiculous, spiteful and upsetting, and in my unnecessary defense of myself, I hurt a friend of mine. My apologies to Megan and Jeremy for my lack of faith in our friendship. I can't take it back, but please know that I am sorry.

Anonymous said...

Try working out at a place named after a guy called Bunny:)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS