Friday, August 11, 2006

My Run-in with LAPD

After another exciting job interview, I came home to find my alley blocked with POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS tape. Thinking that didn't apply to residents, I scooted under the tape and was informed that "that tape is there for a reason." Can I park? "No, this utility pole is about to fall over."

Apparently a cement truck doing work two doors down had hit the pole trying to come down the alley. Oops.

After a knock on the door by two cops, apparently the cement truck hit the pole trying to avoid our monster truck, which I had moved from its legal spot to in front of our door to get my scooter out, and which I had not put back because it is a monster truck that is impossible to parallel park. See, pole-hitting party's associates had parked some sort of bobcat in the driveway next to ours, so I couldn't do my comfortable back up and pull in front ways. I just left it thinking everything would be normal. I forgot to consider this is LA.

D. Ramirez, a female officer who really ought to try a looser up-do, took our information, but not before saying under her breath that she "could do it (park the monster truck) with a blindfold so tell me another."

There are several aspects of this event that are hilarious and ridiculous. First, that she could park that truck. She's too small to see over the edge to know if she's hitting anything. Second, that it is somehow our fault that the cement truck driver hit the pole dodging our truck, when he could have just knocked and asked us to move it out of the alley entirely OR gone in the opposite end of the alley, which is closer to his project anyway. Third, that the police are outside right now taking photos of the pole, our truck, the bobcat and the alley to build a case to determine fault. Seems to me you hit the pole, you hit the pole. That makes hitting the pole your fault, right? If I hit the pole, I'd think it was my fault. But see, I wouldn't hit the pole because I wouldn't be driving a massive truck through an alley unless I was sure it would fit without hitting something so I wouldn't be in trouble with the LAPD.



Life on the alley isn't as exciting as life on the edge, but it sure beats an episode of Days of Our Lives.

7 comments:

Philip Deskins said...

Why didn't you use your hazard lights? That has always worked for you in the past!

Ms. Thomas said...

I'm not buying a new utility pole. This place is rich enough to afford their own utility poles. And I forgot the hazards... that's probably what did it!

Sherman said...

Is that a full size 4X4? What a gas guzzler. You're lucky to get 17 mpg out of one of those.

Ms. Thomas said...

We're selling it and getting a Prius... only bought it for the move, but thanks for the judgment Sherm. You dole it out like a glass house ought to.

Sherman said...

Glass house? I'm perfectly fine with people owning full size pickups. They're good functional vehicles. I was just worried about your conscience, because I care.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should join the L.A.P.D. ... ha!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of hitting poles. Do you remember the time I smashed the side mirror against the utility pole! ha! You poor thing got the worse of the glass shattering, but it was hilarious just the same!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS