Thursday, July 26, 2007

Wanted: The Tooth Fairy

Laila started losing teeth earlier this year. She's lost the bottom two, and the four drops of blood that followed the exit of each tooth was so terrifying to her that she is no longer consenting to losing teeth. She tried it, it doesn't suit her, she's done with it. Unfortunately, her teeth don't agree, so those of us who love her and spend time with her get to stare at this all day long.
I used to love pulling out my teeth because it meant I got money. One entire dollar. That I could use to buy candy. When I got to the age where teeth didn't fall out very easily or very often, I started pulling Leiah's teeth out. By twisting them. With a Kleenex in my hand. In retrospect I have no idea why she let me rip her teeth out of her mouth, but I bet she needed money to buy candy too.

Maybe the OCD Taurus in me just likes things neat and tidy, and snaggly teeth are too distracting for me to relax. Laila has had her tooth protruding like this for weeks now, and every time I see her I think, "oh, it can't hang on another week, her other tooth has got to be on the verge of evicting this one," and every time I see her that dang tooth is still there, hanging on for dear life. Last weekend I told her I couldn't see her again until she lost the tooth. It wasn't quite as good a motivator as ripping her tooth from her jaw, but I'm hoping it works.

5 comments:

The crew said...

Maybe she'll let me do it.

Jen said...

I always feel bad for kids when they get to that awkward looking "toothy" phase. Although the first picture really freaks me out, when zoomed back a bit, she still looks cute as a button!

Shanonita said...

ewwwwww...
Did you think of trying the sucker trick? Didn't you do that to me? Or to Leiah? Pull out the sucker (greedy much?) and the tooth comes with it.

Ms. Thomas said...

Mom did it to you, while we were sitting in the front seat of a pick up truck like good rednecks do. And then she told you to use a little white rock to trick the tooth fairy and you did and then the "tooth fairy" stiffed you and then Mom said, "She must have known it was a fake."

All of that really happened.

Leiah said...

I remember you pulling my teeth but I am not sure why I let you either. I definately never got stiffed by the tooth fairy though.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS