Saturday, March 15, 2008

Family Reunion

My mom and Betsy decided to come for a visit... finally... and it was amazing. I've realized that I am my best self, the self I most like to be, when I am around my family. Around other people I'm a little more reserved, a little more insecure, a little more static, but when the people who really, really get me are around, I can just be me, pushing the envelope between funny and inappropriate and being forgiven simply because there is a smile behind what otherwise might be cruel. Ahh, balance.

The few days they were here were a whirlwind. We woke up, we walked on the beach, we walked through the canals, we hiked through Mandeville Canyon, we watched a depressing movie Shannon recommended (it was better than Suckerbaby), we walked all over Hollywood, we went shopping, we bought clothes that made us look rich, we ate glorious fuel food, we walked on a red carpet, we tattooed Betsy, we took on Chinatown, we bought fart bombs, we toured historic Olvera Street, we got courted by mariachis, we watched the sun set, we drank fresh squeezed mango juice, we examined real live Emmy and Peabody awards, and then, just as it was getting going, Delta came down and swooped them away.

Stupid Delta.

I've been too tired living life the last week to commit any more thought to this post, so the photos will have to do. And I hope that the people who rejuvenate my spirit become a part of my day to day asap.

6 comments:

Shanonita said...

the movie was depressing? sorry about that. and it's Zuckerbaby not Suckerbaby and you loved that movie in fast forward.
I like mom in the pick with the sunglasses and modeling the gold top. did she get those sunglasses? she should. you had too much fun. I am jealous. zucka this!

Shanonita said...

note to self: check it.

Anonymous said...

OK where's Deb's tat? Give up the pictures, Amber!

Jen said...

Your mom looks fantastic as an Oscar winner!

Ms. Thomas said...

Jen, that's an Emmy. She won it for the fine work she did on Malcolm in the Middle. She also won a couple of Peabody Awards, but she didn't want to brag.
;)

Heather said...

So, if I come out, do I get the same star treatment, or is that only for family?

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS