I went to the grocery store the other day for the second time since moving back to Kentucky, and my god people.
We are two for two for the cashier/bagger remarking on how healthy we eat. Every time they mention it I look down and think, What? You see those powdered donuts there, right? And you rang up the beer, right? And those three bags of chips, you got those? And that Nestle Crunch that I just put in my purse that you handed me?
I think they think we're healthy eaters because we buy fruits and vegetables. Several varieties of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables that are apparently too exotic to be brought up during cashier training sessions. Fruits and vegetables like eggplant and grapefruit.
I'm not kidding. My last cashier had to ask me what type of orange my grapefruit was.
We try to be healthy eaters. We don't eat meat so we spend that money in the produce department. I try to buy lower fat or higher fiber versions of things as long as they're not overly processed. We read labels and won't buy anything that has trans fats except tortillas because we can't find flour tortillas anywhere that don't have trans fats. We try not to buy things with high fructose corn syrup listed in the first three ingredients. We care about how we feel now and how we'll feel in 20 years, assuming that bus doesn't come along and kill us today, so this little extra effort is important to us.
But are we so consumed with healthy foods that we are exceptional and remarkable? Should our purchases be so out of the ordinary that the cashier makes a comment about them? Are the powdered donuts that are an occasional treat for us a staple for others? If so, America, we have a problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
HA! It just means you are shopping at Euclid Krogers.
It was actually two separate locations! I had to try another Kroger because Euclid has about the grossest vegetables I've ever seen. And they don't even have cilantro and it's summertime. Who does that?
We get trans fat-free tortillas... they are they Mission brand @ Kroger. A little more expensive but way less fat, no trans fat, and they claim to be "heart healthy"
I spent many a year shopping at Euclid Kroger and I have to say that I never saw them out of cilantro. I would have thrown a fit. And since all store have the "self check-out" now I haven't been through a line with an actual human cashier in a loooong time.
ortega makes a trans-fat free flour tortilla... just in case you were curious... i was at kroger today and i looked just for you... even though you thought i would crack at the first sign of temptation with the whole smoking thing... cuz friends are supportive of each other like that... in case you were wondering... *tear*
Sam eats more flaxseed and omega 3 in a week than most people in Louisiana do in a lifetime. My sister keeps asking me how I keep him so regular. BTW: Good job checking out with the human. I still like the humans.
I got the same looks when I moved to Louisville and went grocery shopping. Trust me. It's not you.
The U-Scan taunts my rage, so I opt for the human interaction instead. Ignorant of produce though they may be, the clerks never tell me to place my item on the scanner and wait. For a clerk.
And those trans fat tortillas... read the ingredient list and be sure they don't have hydrogenated fats in them... because those Mission Heart Healthy and the Low Carb ones BOTH have hidden trans fats. Not enough to equal one in a serving size, but still there. I'll check into the Ortega ones. Thanks for the heads up Amy!
A post on the grocery store generates 8 comments. Milo gets 2. One only really counts ... : (
Also, I try to make sure that 3/4 of my basket is filled with items from the "outside" of the store, i.e. dairy, produce, fresh foods. It's what my Mama taught me...
I teach the "outside" the store method in adult responsibility. I also do the "for good deals search 'high' and 'low'". I also have an STD talk, but that's for another post.
Post a Comment