Tuesday, March 14, 2006

So why did the basement flood?

I've had a problem with heavy rain causing a little stream through my basement since I moved in. I spotted the root of the evil when I braved the dungeon basement during one rainstorm and discovered a temporary but convincing waterfall coming in through an outdated window. When I say outdated, I mean the thing is latched shut with a rope. It just needs sealed shut with some caulk, but I figure a little rainwater every now and then keeps me from having to sweep too much down there. Plus, I don't really like to mess with nature too much.

Well, little did I know that tilling the yard to make way for better grass last year would alter the atmosphere of the basement. My poor little sump pump has been trying to spit the last couple days' rainwater into the yard all day yesterday and all day today with no luck. We finally paid attention to its constant cry for help and relieved the pressure on it by reopening the earth where it dumps the water. (In our defense, after the yard work last year, everything was draining according to plan.) Now, we have Picadome Springs in our side yard, complete with the scentilating aroma of dirt, sewage, goo and breath. At least we're making progress and the two inches of water in the basement is being displaced back to the earth. And it's not toothpaste in the eye!

2 comments:

Leiah said...

At least your flood was outside and didn't involve chunks of potato underneath your refridgerator.

Ms. Thomas said...

True, I've never had the privilege of a disposal of my own, but while in LA, I put too much pasta in it and suffered a similar fate... until the maintenance guy with the tight black curly hair came and plunged the hell out of it. Then it just looked like the sink threw up pasta. Oh, which reminds me, when we were getting our dishwasher fixed, Laila started singing "Birds and the Bees" and the guy was like, "My uncle wrote that song. I'm gonna see him tomorrow for Thanksgiving. He'll get such a kick knowing that kids are still singing his song these days." Only in Cali...

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS