Sunday, April 19, 2009

And I thought I was bad.

Leiah moved into a new place a few weeks ago, so last week I spent a few days at her house watching Ben and helping her get settled. We went through clothes, found a roomful of wedding and baby stuff that could be donated or given away, and then had to tackle her keepsakes.

I have a soft spot for keepsakes
. A soft spot that's about two trunks tall by two trunks wide plus an under the bed box full of photos. Mack loves my soft spot.

While I'm good at being practical about things like how many pieces of Gladware you really need, I'm terrible at purging keepsakes. Every time I open my own collection to eliminate things, it's like I get to go back in time, see who I was then, laugh at how ridiculous she was, and then come back to who I am today feeling very grateful and more like I have accomplished something with my life. Something like not being 17 anymore.

Helping Leiah was tough. She has the funniest notes that she passed during class and a love letter from a boy who was so sweet and so helpless in his feelings for her. She has fake wedding programs that she and her friend made for their future alter-ego selves. She has baby photos of a boy I love so much I'll probably keep his baby picture framed and on my windowsill even when he's 75. Those things made it hard to say no.

But there were other things.

When we were kids we had this awful wool blanket that was kept on the couch for us to cover up with if we got cold. This thing was brown and as scratchy as a beard, and it became known as Itchy Scratchy to us girls. Leiah decided she was going to love this blanket and claimed it as her own. Fast forward 22 years when she pulls Itchy Scratchy out of a bag, tattered and torn, aging worse than a smoking woman.

When I asked Leiah why she ever liked that obnoxious blanket she looked at me and said, "Because Amber. It's what I do. I liked Itchy Scratchy and I liked LJ. I don't know why."

We also came across her old orthodontics. When I say orthodontics, I don't mean retainers. I kept my retainers for a few years after I stopped wearing them, but mainly because I knew how much my parents had paid for those things and I felt awful pitching them. I guess Leiah had similar issues because we not only found her retainer but also her rusty headgear and her braces. Yes, her actual braces.


I'm I ever glad my packrattiness was tempered by a tiny apartment and a cross country move.

2 comments:

Jen said...

OMG! I have about 7 shoe boxes filled with keepsakes and I wouldn't trade them for the world - glad to know I am in good company.

I can't believe Leiah still has her headgear! I burned mine the second it was no longer required...

Anonymous said...

I am going through the same situation at the moment. I just am tired of having this old stuff so I am trying to minimize. It's amazing how much an item can take you back to a lifetime.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS