Thursday, November 21, 2013

Cool Crisis: Averted

Okay, so my faith in my cool-dar is restored, and I have Bob Dylan to thank for that.

See, Bob Dylan is timelessly cool. He's been doing cool stuff for about 50 years, which means that his coolness transcends the mercurial social parameters of cool. Plus, he is not very attractive, a hurdle that only genuinely cool people can overcome and still maintain an undiminished bangable-factor.

He has established coolness in music, of course, but also in art, literature, and film. And now, his coolness is making Kanye and Lady Gaga look like novice jesters.

Dylan just released the first official video for "Like a Rolling Stone," a song he released 48 years ago that pretty much everyone 10 years and old knows at least some of the words to (I mean, really, does it get any better than crooning, "HOW DOES IT FEEL?!"). And the video is as brilliant a social commentary today as the song was nearly 5 decades ago.


I think I've watched this about 25 times, sitting on each channel by itself and then flipping through, and the more I watch it the more Kanye needs to be smacked and Gaga needs to be grounded.

We've got Pawn Stars, the Price Is Right, the History "network," the Bachelorette-ish, a romantic comedy, newscasts, cartoons, home shopping, even those renovation brothers from HGTV!

The coupling of these mundane shows with our short attention span channel flipping whispers a warning about our state of self-induced idiocy, while the lyrics of the song seem to offer a warning to everyone we're watching, our "celebrities," who can go from Miley Cyrus to Amanda Bynes in the blink of a well-lashed eye.

Everything about this is cool, I'm absolutely sure of it. Everything, that is, except the fact that now I have to admit I've given way too much of my life to television.



No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS