Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tail Tales

One year ago, on an icy deck outside of a mountain cabin, feeling warm and wobbly from one too many, I turned on a dime, lost a sense of equilibrium and butt planted in Gatlinburg. My one witness, a fellow I call Jon Connor, isn't equipped to deal with my whining, so I bottled it up and relished in the satisfaction of knowing "that'll hurt tomorrow."

Well, tomorrow has been going on for a year now. Some women, like my older, sturdier, braver sister, break their tailbones doing things like giving birth, but some of us, well, we lose our balance. I've had bad days every now and then for the last year, but I'm usually able to get through it by sitting on the couch and ordering Chinese takeout. Today, though, nothing was working. Not even the sweet pot of tulips or the Black History Month card Mack got me. 

I got home from work, where I sat down all day, and I couldn't sit down. I tried to sit on Mack's new motorcycle and realized that the extent of this injury and my neglecting it hoping it magically heals itself is ridiculous. 

I get not being able to walk, not being able to stand, not being able to leap small buildings in a single bound... but not being able to sit, that is just humiliating. I think the busted tail bone is flaring up because I've been riding my bike to work, and since I *heart* my new bike, I have to deal with this butt bone issue asap. I'm, against my self-conscious judgment, going to invest in one of those hemorrhoid cushions until this crap gets better. I just hope they have one with skulls or swords on it so I don't feel like such a wimp.  

5 comments:

Ames said...

I'd feel really bad for you if it weren't so g** d*** funny. kharma is kicking your ass (literally) for breaking Jen's toe and for punching me (repeatedly). I knew someday that would come back to you.
Anyway...
I hope your butt feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

What, I'm not equipped...what gives??? Well, now that I think of it, I probably was laughing and couldn't console to my proper abilities. BTW, I still remember the day I broke my tailbone. Some jerk on the Berea H.S. basketball team couldn't take a good beating from Tates Creek, so he takes me out on a fast break layup. I made the basket and ensuing free throw, but I still hurt to this day.

Ms. Thomas said...

Do you need a hemorrhoid pillow too? I'll get you one.
Actually, the hemorrhoid pillow is a circle and it actually doesn't alleviate the pressure on your butt bone. Instead I'm using a neck pillow that is tempurpedicish that i got at walgreens for $16. Sweet relief.

Shanonita said...

i went to a physical therapist for my tailbone and he told me to get this smallish round dog toy to sit on. Mine got better after 7 months but it still hurts sometimes. I haven't tried to ride a bike though and that sucks because that probably means that I won't be able to either! I think, like Jon Connor says, it's an injury that never truly goes away.
I was desperate for a while and thinking I would have to sit on an embarrassing pillow at work but I just could n't bring myself to do it so I sit on the edge of my seat.

Anonymous said...

generic viagra india viagra logo viagra and hearing loss buy viagra now generic viagra india natural viagra substitutes viagra effects on women negative effects of viagra cheap viagra canada effects of viagra on women cheapest viagra where to buy viagra where to buy viagra viagra commercial canyon filmed

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS