Sunday, October 01, 2006

Hollywood Forever

Since entertaining is my forte (duh), I loaded myself into the F150 monster truck and retrieved Liz from her pal Darrylynn for a day in Hollywood. Hollywood is where Betsy offered up her nostril and where Liz and I stumbled upon an afternoon film festival for National Geographic. After one short film that totally sucked about a girl trying to be a horse, we watched two other films, one on a New Zealand woman learning about love from her two Aborigine grandmothers, who hadn't seen a white person until the 1960's, and one about the lower castes of gypsies in India that fill the roles of musicians, blacksmiths, dancers, traders, snakecharmers and all other facets of culture that make India as special as it is. It was one of those beautiful surprises that comes with a big city and a willingness to look at things that might seem totally out of your element.

Afterward, we headed to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, which my mom and Leiah had seen a documentary on that must have made it 1000 times more interesting that it really was so they emphatically encouraged me to check it out. Turns out, Liz and I are really bad at knowing who the famous people were/are, so we basically walked around the museum and marveled at how many Jews are buried there. We did find some interesting graves though, without a doubt.




On a more personal note, I had a supernatural encounter with a hummingbird that I totally associated with my Grandpa Scott since he always seemed to have a hummingbird buzzing around him whenever we spent time together on the porch at his house.

The quietest part of the whole place was a Buddhist section, which had colorful tile monuments and statues and, thankfully, absolutely no literature on becoming Buddhist. I'd never seen how Buddhists honored their dead, but I really liked what I saw.



We also had run ins with the geese who like to bite butts while we were discovering a grave that felt vaguely familiar to both of us and with a photographer who likes to put aspiring actresses in positions that aren't appropriate for a cemetery and likes to overcharge them for headshots. At least Liz was pretty the whole time.



It was a great day, ending in a card game with tequila consequences and a hookah as the centerpiece.


No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS